Listen to Kurt Vile’s Track From The Upcoming ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute To The Velvet Underground & Nico’
Verve Records has announced a new tribute album celebrating the work of the Velvet Underground & Nico with I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute to the Velvet Underground & Nico. The collection of 11 tracks includes contributions from Michael Stipe of R.E.M., St. Vincent with Thomas Bartlett, King Princess, Courtney Barnett, and Iggy Pop with Matt Sweeney.
To celebrate the announcement, they’ve released Kurt Vile’s take on the track Run Run Run.
Talking about his cover, Vile says “I literally covered “Run Run Run” when I was a kid. In my late teens with my band at the time. So it was pretty cosmic, let’s say. There is a direct connection to certain indie bands and beyond w/ the Velvets. That’s why the Velvets are a classic. You know it can have doo-wop in there and things like that, but it can also have this jagged noisy thing, and it immediately let me feel like I could do anything. The possibilities are endless. You’re completely free.” Unapologetic and effortless.”
I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute to the Velvet Underground & Nico tracklist:
- Sunday Morning – Michael Stipe (3:50)
- I’m Waiting For The Man – Matt Berninger (3:44)
- Femme Fatale – Sharon Van Etten (w/ Angel Olsen on backing vocals) (4:43)
- Venus In Furs – Andrew Bird & Lucius (6:55)
- Run Run Run – Kurt Vile & The Violators (6:59)
- All Tomorrow’s Parties – St. Vincent & Thomas Bartlett (4:52)
- Heroin – Thurston Moore feat. Bobby Gillespie (7:24)
- There She Goes Again – King Princess (3:29)
- I’ll Be Your Mirror – Courtney Barnett (2:27)
- The Black Angel’s Death Song – Fontaines D.C. (3:12)
- European Son – Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney (7:45)
I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute to the Velvet Underground & Nico will be released September 24th via Verve Records. Pre-order/Pre-save the album here.